We’ve become used to seeing Auckland Transport run what we’ve described in the past as a ‘consultation season‘ around November of each year. This is when they rush out a heap of consultations all at the same time just before the summer holidays. But that didn’t happen last year – likely due to the the COVID lockdown and it seems we’re getting it now.
We’ve already seen consultations for New North Road and the next round of speed limit changes and now we’ve got another important one, bus changes on the North Shore. There is also another consultation coming next week about bus changes to the Northwest.
The changes to bus routes on the North Shore are planned to be implemented in 2025 in conjunction with the opening of the Rosedale Busway Station. The busway extension itself is due to open in a few months time but the station itself has been delayed.
You can see progress on the Northern Busway extension in the video below.
A quick summary of what changes are proposed is below
We propose to change nine existing bus services and introduce one new bus service on the North Shore. Together with Rosedale Station (a new Northern Busway station planned to open in 2025), the proposed changes would make it easier and quicker for more people to travel around the North Shore and the rest of Auckland using public transport.
Some of the proposed changes are minor:
- The NX1, NX2 and 866 already use the Northern Busway and would therefore stop at Rosedale Station (while continuing to stop at all other busway stations)
- The 884 and 885 North Harbour Industrial Estate loop services already use the part of Rosedale Road that will become part of Rosedale Station, and would therefore stop at the new station
More significant changes are proposed for the following bus services:
- The 865 would serve Rosedale Station and Massey University instead of Albany Station
- The 883 would serve the North Harbour Industrial Estate
- The 889 would serve Rosedale Station instead of Apollo Drive and Constellation Station
- The 907 route would be extended, to serve the Mairangi Bay shops, Maxwelton Drive, Apollo Drive and Rosedale Station
The new bus service, the 864, is proposed to connect Browns Bay, Rosedale Station and Albany Village.
The new and changed routes are shown on the map below – I have to say, it seems an odd choice to show the Constellation Station off-line for the busway services.
The combination of the new 864 and the changed 865 seem like they’ll make it faster for people from Browns Bay to access the busway. The 865 also looks will become the fastest way for people to connect between Massey University and the busway. It would of course be even better if one or both of these routes could be upgraded to a frequent status.
Here’s a full map with all the routes
For those interested, you can find the current map for the area here.
Overall the changes seem logical, I only wish we weren’t having to wait another three years for the busway station to be finished.
The consultation is open till Sunday 3 April and they are having a some in person and online information sessions
Public drop-in sessions:
- Constellation Station on Tuesday 22 March from 4pm to 7pm
- Albany Station on Thursday 24 March from 4pm to 7pm
- East Coast Bays Library in Browns Bay on Saturday 26 March from 10am to 2pm
Online information sessions
- Thursday 17 March from 7:30pm to 8pm – click this link to join the event
- Monday 21 March from 8pm to 8:30pm – click this link to join the event