As many of you may be aware there has been a lot of discussion regarding the third and now potentially fourth main.
For those who haven’t here are some great articles to get all caught up.
- The Third Main Business Case
- The Third Main: Why is a $58m rail option being ignored while a $1.4 billion road rolls on?
- The Third Main Business Case – The Un-Redacted Version
A Coalition of Transport Advocates has now started a new campaign which we are calling #Campaign4theMains.
The campaign petitions the Government and relevant agencies to fund/build the transformative low-cost Third/Fourth Mains allowing the unlocking of freight/passenger rail capacity not just in Auckland but Nationally by removing two of the key bottlenecks on the rail network the congested Westfield-Wiri section as well as the Westfield Junction.
The petition on change.org already since Friday has nearly 400 supporters.
I personally have signed because these two upgrades are integral to unlock the true capacity of rail freight in Auckland.
It will mean:
- Faster passenger trains with even spacings (clock face timetable) between trains rather than bunched coming around the same time resulting in frequency not unlocked fully;
- Saves AT/NZTA from needing to buy a passenger train as fleet can be better utilised saving around $10m;
- Takes 100s of trucks off the roads each week including around the Waterfront if the fourth main is built as well which is one of Auckland’s best assets and likely to a focal point during America’s Cup. But also fewer trucks on roads outside of Auckland which are also feeling the strain;
- Allows Express/Intercity trains to work properly when/if hopefully one day they are introduced;
- It’s great for the economy;
- Makes it easier to introduce 15m all day passenger frequencies across the rail network;
- It makes KR more profitable as they can run more trains more efficiently meaning fewer subsidies needed from taxpayers or more money that can be re-invested back into rail network;
- Great for the environment reducing pollution and helping us meet our climate obligations;
- It is value for money just $60m for a third main & $150-200m to build both a third & fourth main. That is small change for such a transformative investment.
I encourage everyone to get behind the #Campaign4theMains and please sign the petition here. Please also feel free to Tweet/Share on Facebook and other social media to get the word out.