Just when you thought Auckland’s motorway network was complete, with the Waterview Connection being the last link in the chain, we find that NZTA wants to spend $860 million widening the Northwest motorway.
And no mention of anything like a Northwest busway either. NZTA are having an open day on the project this weekend, although I’m out of town so won’t be able to go along: If someone could go along and make the following points that’d be great:
- Why the heck haven’t you investigated a Northwest Busway?
- Don’t you know that widening motorways just encourages traffic?
- How many lanes wide will the motorway need to be if the Waterview Connection is ever expanded to six lanes?
- What’s the project’s cost-benefit ratio?
- Isn’t $860 million a lot just to widen an existing motorway?
- If you did build the busway instead, would you still need to widen the motorway?
- Have you looked at a movable barrier like the Harbour Bridge has, considering that the NW Motorway has incredibly low counter-peak flows?
I’ll put together something similar in an email to NZTA, but it’d be great if they heard it in person. If you can’t make it, send you thoughts here: SH16@nzta.govt.nz